A + I + A = REAL Change
- A = Awareness: Before any intentional change can happen there needs to be an awareness of the need for change. When I am coaching someone I listen for:
- How aware is this person of the need for change?
- Have they drilled down to the core issues?
- I = Intention: Awareness alone rarely changes anything. I want to know what their intentions are.
- What do they want to do with their awareness?
- On a scale of 1 to 10, how ready is this person to initiate change?
- What is still needed?
- A = Action: What’s the plan? Is the plan well thought out? Or, are they shooting from the hip?
When all three are combined the result is REAL, LASTING CHANGE
This formula gives me a quick, easy assessment of the person I am coaching, as well as what is needed.
Frequently, during a coaching session, I will share this formula and ask that they do a quick self-assessment. What follows is usually a “windex moment” – Ahhhh, now I see!
BTW-It is not unusual to coach a leader that is designing action with little to no awareness of the core issues driving the change. This formula help me, as well as those I coach, see this clearly.