Here’s the short list:
• Trying to fix the other person.
• Diagnosing problems vs. Tapping into the greatness in the other person
• Working harder than the person you are coaching.
• Worry about what you are going to say when the person you are coaching stops talking.
• Deciding what the focus of the coaching session will be.
Okay, true confessions—the above are the mistakes I made as a new coach.
I was fortunate! I had a mentor-coach that I was working with. My mentor-coach helped me identify and learn from my mistakes.
No kidding….As a recovering Fixer, I spent an entire year learning how to see the greatness in those I was coaching.